The holidays are here and we are making our wishlists. From tech gear to computer accessories, this is what we are wanting Santa to bring:
1. Pebble Smart Watch – It syncs via bluetooth to my phone to give me my text messages, phone call notifications, and emails right on my wrist! Bonus perk – I can write my own apps for it using the Pebble SDK!
2. Xbox One & Destiny – It’s one of the next-gen consoles, finally equipped with a blueray player. It has a sleeker controller for my smaller hands, and I can’t wait to play Bungie’s latest game, Destiny, on it.
3. The Everpurse – A stylish clutch that charges my phone on the go! A must for the busy, always-on-the-go fashionable tech woman!
1. iPad Mini with Retina display – I remember when Apple came out with the Newton, and how the Palm Pilot pretty much sunk it. When Apple announced the iPod Touch, I was ecstatic – a replacement for the Newton, finally! But it was too small. Then came the iPad… too big! Now that the Mini is out with a retina display, we’ve finally arrived at almost-just-right. If Santa would bring me one, I could tell you for sure. I’m tired of being the bag lady with tons of stuff to carry around and the iPad Mini would lighten my load.
2. Filip Watches (for my kids!) – RFID isn’t quite the right tech to keep track of my 4- and 6-year-olds. It can’t necessarily follow wherever they roam. Since iPhones aren’t allowed at school, this is a stealth way to keep them within technology’s reach. The watches are GPS-trackable and can be programmed with the ability to call only 5 parent-approved phone numbers. There is a panic button (great for helicopter parents but that’s really not my style) and kids hold the watch up spy-style to make/take calls. It’s not perfect, but I like that it’s also not as easy to damage as an iPhone, and it truly does serve as a watch when not otherwise in use.
3. FujiFilm X Series Camera – Sign me up for any of these awesome retro-meets-high-tech point and shoots. I’m tired of lugging around a giant SLR and my old iPhone isn’t cutting it. I want artist photos without being overcommitted in the bag lady category. The retro styles and plethora of lenses are the icing on the cake.
A new multi-level, post-production focusing camera. No idea what I’d use it for, but that’s why we say I have technojoy!
Because have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUUsqhetX4 Also, it has Kingdom Hearts III which surely will be the best sequel to a sequel ever.
3. iBam Speaker
I always have tunes playing and I admit that I have a pesky habit of amplifying music from my phone with any bowl/cup that isn’t being used. The iBamboo and iBam2 are elegant solutions made from renewable resources and would look killer on my countertop.
4. Giant Scrabble
Half of what I love about working in tech is that it keeps my brain sharp and I’m always learning. You should never neglect the other half of your brain, though. Work out all those brainy wrinkles!
A cactus (a cute potted cactus), seriously because sometimes plants are more technologically advanced than actual tech. I want to experience the satisfaction that comes from keeping something alive especially since I don’t have a history of possessing a green thumb. Plus, it would look great on my desk at work and in my window sill at home.
1. The Circle by Dave Eggers
Though this isn’t exactly high-tech, there are a couple reasons why this book is on my tech wish list. I admire the author for his work in founding and growing a hugely influential education non-profit called 826 National, but also, the subject of the book (which a Harvard Business Review writer named the best business book of the year) is fascinating to me as a woman in tech — from the Amazon synopsis:
When Mae Holland is hired to work for the Circle, the world’s most powerful internet company, she feels she’s been given the opportunity of a lifetime. The Circle, run out of a sprawling California campus, links users’ personal emails, social media, banking, and purchasing with their universal operating system, resulting in one online identity and a new age of civility and transparency. Mae can’t believe her great fortune to work for the most influential company in the world—even as life beyond the campus grows distant…What begins as the captivating story of one woman’s ambition and idealism soon becomes a heart-racing novel of suspense, raising questions about memory, history, privacy, democracy, and the limits of human knowledge.
2. Treehouse Subscription
Of all the places to learn new skills online, I feel like this is one of the least intimidating and most user-friendly, plus it’s got a little bit of everything to satisfy even the most distracted dabbler: HTML, CSS, Ruby, Design, WordPress, and more.
3. “Recharge” Hoodie
It’s creative, comfy, and turns you into a walking reminder for your friends and colleagues (and self!) to take a break and recharge. 🙂
1. Cyber-Shot DSC-QX10 Smartphone Lens Camera
This nifty lens connects to your phone via clamps, Wi-Fi and an app. Voila and you have Sony’s award-winning Exmor sensor and the DSC-QX10 that upgrades your phone to a 10-times optical zoom and 18.2-megapixel camera. Rock on!
2. Sennheiser Momentum
A lover of music, I’m always jamming while working. These would be the ultimate experience for my ears.
For this wishlist item is just wishful thinking (because I would need a flat screen TV for this to fly, but I think the Chromecast is so cool. It hooks up to all your devices via Wi-Fi and you can play anything from your computer, tablet, etc. from your flatscreen. Now, to get that flatscreen TV…
1. New Kindle PaperWhite – I’m starting to rediscover my love for reading. I’m also hyper aware of the amount of things I own so this will help cut down on shelves full of books.
2. Fitbit Force – Wearable tech is all the rage! And sitting is killing us. So let’s have something tell me how lazy I am everyday 😉
3. Jawbone Mini Jambox – to jam to, duh.
4. Instax Mini 8 Instant Camera – because polaroids will never die!
1. Coin: The one card to replace every other card cluttering your wallet or purse. You can pre-order now at https://onlycoin.com/.
2. Bedphones: Comfy headphones to wear in the late eve when you want to lay down and give your ears a soft cushy, light weight set of ear buds. Bonus: these come with a satin eye-mask and travel case.
3. Fridegepad: A stylish addition to any kitchen. The Fridgepad is the perfect companion if you use your ipad for recipes when cooking.