- This event has passed.
Coding & Cupcakes April: Jewelbots Workshop
14 April, 2018 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm$55
Join us for our monthly coding series, Coding & Cupcakes. Parents and daughters are invited to attend sessions to learn about code together. Attendees will learn how to program Jewelbots, bluetooth enabled smart bracelets!
- One ticket per parent/adult chaperone
- One ticket per daughter – this includes your own Jewelbot!
- No coding experience necessary
- One wifi-enabled laptop per girl is required (see FAQs for requirements). Note: Jewelbots curriculum NOT compatible with Chromebooks).
- Mac users: if you’re laptop doesn’t have a usb port, please bring a usb adaptor to connect your jewelbot to your laptop.
- The minumum age requirement is the ability to read, type, and use a mouse
- Delicious cupcakes from BabyCakes will be provided for coding fuel!
- Please review Kansas City Women in Technology’s Code of Coduct
What are Jewelbots?
Jewelbots are friendship bracelets for the iPhone era. Technology-enabled jewelry for tween and teen girls, they’re a means of communicating with friends by lighting up when a BFF is near or buzzing to send messages to a pal across the school.
What are Jewelbots coded in?
What is required to attend?
A wifi-enabled laptop, with windows, linux, or osx operating system and permissions to download software (Jewelbots curriculum is NOT compatible with Chromebooks) . We will be downloading the Arduino IDE to program our Jewelbots with. Be sure to bring a powercord and mouse if you prefer!
How does registration work?
Register for one ticket for your daughter, and register for one parent/adult chaperone ticket. This ticket includes your very own Jewelbot + extra band! (Jewelbots retail at $69!)
If you’d like to bring several girls or attend the event with another pair, our form does accommodate that by allowing you to specify the quantity during registration.
Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event?
The minimum age requirement is the ability to use a mouse, as well as basic reading and computer typing skills. There is a worksheet provided for the parent/chaperone and daughter to work through, with mentors on hand to assist with the more complex topics.
What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
The Upper Level Parking area on the corner of 39th and Warwick is available to all attendees
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
No, we do paperless check-in at the event.
How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s the refund policy?
Refunds must be requested 48 hours before the event.